Skip to main content

How young & ambitious entrepreneurs may change Nepal


At a height of 3,600 m, Jomsom, nestled in the upper reaches of the Himalayas, is a sweet, windy, one-horse town that looks like a film set from a Clint Eastwood western. It has some good hotels and eateries and several German bakeries. It was at a private finance company's ATM that I chose to withdraw 10,000 Nepali rupees just before I boarded my bus for Beni, another small town but much lower and closer to Pokhara, Nepal's favourite holiday destination.
As luck would have it, after I punched in my debit card's secret number, the teller machine baulked, denying me both the money and a receipt of the aborted transaction. Going into the adjoining office of Prabhu Finance, I asked the man there what I should do. He said the network had been bad and that the amount would be credited to my account automatically.
I got into my bus that rattled and grunted with trekkers from various countries, a veritable United Nations on the move, over rocks and stones that were the path. No roads here.
When the bus had exhaled its last set of passengers at Ghasa, my guide got a call from the owner of the Hotel Majesty, Jomsom, where I had stayed. Apparently, the ATM's network rewired itself splendidly after I had left and spewed out the money it had resolutely denied me. They connected to the owner of my hotel and told him to contact me.
So what was I to do? The money I wanted had come out three hours too late and I was that many hours of bus journey away in the bus park, the Nepalese term for bus depots, down in nondescript Ghasa. We were in a concrete structure that was a wayside eatery for tired tourists.
"Give the phone to the owner or the manager there," I was told by Nishant Tulachan, the owner of Jomsom's Majesty. I ran out of nerve and quickly handed the phone to my Nepali guide from Kathmandu. He took the phone and headed towards the lady concerned who shuffled away with a panic-stricken urgency as if my guide was walking towards her with a live serpent in his hands.
I can only imagine that she was trying to avoid being conned into another favour for somebody who was somebody's uncle married into the former royal family and needed her help in the form of heavy discounts, or worse, other forms of greater loss.
In another 20 minutes, however, the lady counted out 10 one-thousand-rupee notes and asked my Mumbai address and phone number and a receipt for the amount. When I did, this lady who'd been fleeing a fleecer 20 minutes earlier, offered me the money with her right hand, while her left palm reverentially touched her right elbow; an amorously pious gesture ingrained in much of the Nepali society.
Power Cut
Against this discomfiting though eventually pleasant experience, is my friend Sekhar Chetri's audacious proposal to the Kathmandu municipal council. Sekhar, who studied in Shillong and Pune besides working briefly in Belgaum, runs an advertising agency that has won the top creative awards for a few years running in Nepal.
In August 2011, Sekhar, who also has an LED business besides his advertising agency, wagered he would light up all of Kathmandu's streets for free if he were given 12 years of use of the city's prominent advertising vistas.
Needless to say, he is yet to hear from the Kathmandu municipal authorities that run a city hobbled by power shortages to the point of desperation; load shedding in Nepal's capital ranges from 10 to 16 hours per day. 
(Economic Times)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sanghiya Samajbadi Party formed under Rai

KATHMANDU, NOV 22 - The crusaders of federalism based on single identity on Monday announced the formation of a new party under the leadership of former CPN-UML Vice Chairman Ashok Rai. The new party Sanghiya Samajbadi Party was announced at a programme organised at a function organised at New Baneshwor in the Capital. Most of the leaders and cadres of the new party are from the UML and some are also from the Nepali Congress. The 98-member central ad hoc working committee includes eight vice chairmen, one general secretary, three deputy general secretaries and five secretaries. Bijaya Subba, Durga Mani Dewan, Prem Krishna Pathak, Bir Bahadur Lama, Rakanm Chemjong, Hemraj Rai, Mohammad Rijwan Ansari and Gopal Thakur have been appointed as the vice chairmen for the party whereas Rajendra Shrestha is the general secretary. Likewise, Ajambar Rai Kangmang, Radha Timilsina and Norsang Lama are the deputy general secretaries while Mina Gurung, Horilal Ch

Kaliprasad Rijal, Senior Lyricist

 It's interview time : Moment of interview with Kaliprasd Rijal.His famous songs are, BIHANA UTHNE BITTIKAI, JHAREKO PAT JHAI BHAYO, CHARI LE TA CHHADERA GAIHALI, etc. Most of his songs were sang by Narayan Gopal, famous singer of nepal.  Remembering his old days  Young kaliprasad, with his wife  Searching his old photos  Photo pose with legend lyricist  Kaliprasad in his office IT'S ME